What is This?

Sidney First's journey toward understanding the heart of God for trafficked children and women.

What I Miss When I Leave

⊆ 5:34 PM by Dan | ˜ 1 comments »

Since most of our team has left I have been reflecting on the day when I will head back to Sidney too. Since I have done this about 10 times in the last 5 years, this is easy to write but painful because I am aware of my own negligence in applying these virtues. Many of these are what made this week so powerful and what I believe will continue to bring light in dark places. What I will miss about Tijuana Mexico:

1. JOY - I'm convinced that joy cannot exist without suffering or surrender. That suffering may be internal or physical or emotional, but it seems that JOY bursts forth most from places and people who have not or have surrendered all. As Todd asked earlier, "where does my joy come from today?"
2. ACCOUNTABILITY - over and over this week, we have heard from church leaders, ministry leaders and followers of Jesus that one of the things that they need most is accountability! Wow! If someone asks me how they can pray for me I can honesty tell you that I have NEVER said, "pray for accountability in my life and ministry." I haven't even come close. The Latin and South American cultures seem to embody and welcome this more than any human, group or church in the US that I've ever met.
3. SIMPLICITY IN WORSHIP - not church singing here. Worship. The way one lives one's life for God. They see a need and meet it even if it means letting go or suspending a vision that they thought was from God. I'm reminded of Beth's encouragement to us this week to read and re-read Isaiah 58. Go do that now!
4. PRAYER - see other posts but holy cow. Because of their situation in life it seems that they are much more aware of a spiritual battle that is bigger than any physical limitation when it comes to God's work in the world.
5. FOOD - Hey, it's true. I'm not sure this one will help change the world but hey, Jesus liked good food and parties and I'm telling you that He would be here for the tacos!! Yes, I look forward to pizza and wings but I am loving homemade tortillas and the best refried beans in the world.
6. FAITH - this is NOT a religious word down here or even a statement of salvation in some distant land. Faith is life! It requires change. It stretches when no one else sees. It IS the plan for how to move forward. It ties in closely with DEPENDENCE but it drives dependence. God HAS TO come through for them. I'm not sure that I put myself out there because I am prideful and I worry that I will fall and be thought of as a failure...or I just don't believe that God is that big.

How can I/we posture ourselves to embody those parts of Mexico that speak directly against those things that keep us from the One that we love?


One Response to “What I Miss When I Leave”

  1. Todd M Says:
    This is a great post, Dan -- as always.

    I might add Ice Cream to your list. Yes, I know that Ice Cream is food but, in Tijuana, it takes on special meaning. And, man, they have the flavors. I wish I would have tried Corn flavor.

    I guess that this really is interwoven in all the things you list but a good summary word for what I miss from there is Freedom. Christians talk about "freedom" -- living out of that place where your dependence is on no one and nothing but God. And that is an incredible place. But somehow I'll be darned if it isn't a tough place to stay when you're immersed in modern American culture. And I hate that but, let's face it, it is tough. However, in Tijuana, where dependence on God is necessary for basic survival, your mind and heart enter a different place and it is a place of freedom. Freedom from worrying about what you look like (I didn't comb my hair once while I was there!), what you have, or where you go.

    The Freedom of Christ ... how I long to carry that home.

= Leave a Reply